Picture taken by Bill Linley when the bridge was
rail traffic. This was taken on
1965 and shows
the Dominion, Train #4 and it's available from the author in his
Morning Sun book, "Canadian Pacific in Color: Eastern Lines."
Taken in 2002
The bridge was opened on 22 February 1901 having been
Privy Council (PC 1898-436 of 28
February 1898). The event was recorded in the Ottawa Journl
April and the Ottawa Citizen of 23 April 1901. The following
compilation of the two accounts.
Formally Opened: Passenger Train on the
bridge was opened for
traffic when the first train of
the Ottawa, Northern & Western railway, formerly the Ottawa
Gatineau, crossed to the Central depot. The handsome
structure was decorated with flags, as was also the locomotive and cars
of the train, which was the regular morning express from up the
Gatineau (i.e Gracefield).
Traffic on this train was
tickets being sold between Gracefield and Ottawa. At the Hull station a
large number of passengers got on, Mr. John Lauzon, of Ste. Hyacinche
Street, Hull, being the first to purchase a ticket for a passage over
the new bridge. Among those who boarded the train at Hull were Messrs.
P.W. Resseman, general superintendent; Guy C. Dunn, chief engineer;
J.R. Brennan, road master; H.R. Lyons, accountant; A.
Superintendent of construction; A.W.H. Stimpson, assistant
engineer; Major S.M. Rogers; Ald, Desjardins; W.A. Clark; C. Olmstead;
W.R. Taylor, secretary-treasurer for the Hull Electric company; and the
press representatives. The crew who had charge of the train
Messrs. H.T. Hoolihan, conductor; Wm. McFall, engineer; T. Hollihan,
baggageman; R. Morrison, fireman; John Gravel and T. Charand,
brakesmen. The distance between stations was covered in seven - nine
minutes, the train arriving sharp on time.
As the train entered on
the bridge, Mr. Noel
Valiquette of the Cottage Hotel smashed a bottle of wine on the
locomotive. A big crowd stood on the Dufferin Bridge and
the inauguration of traffic on the line. There was
no formality, a souvenir of the line in the form of a badge was
presented to all the passengers and guests.
All passenger trains on
the line will
into the Central instead of the Union
Depot. The train from the Gatineau will arrive at 9:35 AM and
leave at 5 PM.
The cars had been
deep green colour and present a handsome
appearance. The entrance to the bridge
at Nepean Point was thronged with enthusiastic spectators as was also
the platform at the Central Depot. where congratulations were extended
to the officials of the
Later called the "Alexandra Bridge", it was
Gatineau Valley Railway and the Pontiac and Pacific Junction Railway
which had amalgamated as the Ottawa Northern and Western
Railway. The Alexandra bridge was the second
cantilever span bridge in the world, after the Forth bridge in
Scotland, at the time of its construction. City of Ottawa Archives
photo CA-19928 shows the bridge in the early stages of construction
shows the bridge with a number of locomotives on it presumably under
test prior to opening.
All the steel members are from Carnegie Steel, similar
M&O Rideau Canal Bridge, though in the Alexandra bridge case
Carnegie would have supplied the steel, rather than the complete
bridge. The Bridge was constructed by Dominion Bridge of Lachine.
The CPR 1917 summary gives the following description
- 138' + 247' through truss girder spans, concrete abutments,
1150' cantilever span, concrete abutments, 2 x 32' 5.75" D Pl
girder spans, concrete pier and
There are three plaques on the bridge. This
(1) At each end on both sides facing
(2) At each end and on the bridge itself on
walkway side there is a plaque by
the Government: of Canada.
These two plaques are not identical as the English and
(3) A third set of two plaques has been placed on the railing
the pedestrian walkway opposite the two plaques placed by the
Government of Canada.
Again the plaques are not identical as the English and
An aerial view
looking south from the
side. Lemieux Island in the centre
This picture is on
page 20 of that
Bridge Company book with the following caption:
"The Quebec, Monteal, Ottawa and Occidental Railway
commissioned the Chaudiere Bridge at Ottawa. It was a through
bridge with a single track and thirteen spans, seven of which were on
the other side of an island from the six shown. The railroad
became part of the Canadian Pacific system. From
the 1888 Album of Designs. Courtesy,
Frank A. Weer"
caption was not correct. By the time the bridge contract was
the Quebec Government had already taken over the QMO&O and it
that government that issued the tender and contracted for the bridge.
The cost was met by Quebec, with $5000 extra from the City of
Montreal, which wanted to ensure that the eastern terminal of the
Canadian Pacific Railway would be in Montreal, rather than in Toronto.
It was the Quebec government which sold the QMO&O and the
at a loss, to the CPR on 1 May 1882.
The Prince of
Wales Bridge was the
railway bridge across the Ottawa River. It was built to the
design of C. Schaler Smith, the consulting engineer, for the
Québec, Montréal, Ottawa and Occidental Railway when it
extended across the Ottawa River from Hull to Chaudiere. The piers, embankments and masonry work were
H.J. Beemer who bid $112,875.10. Work commencing in May 1879
this phase was completed on 12 October 1880. The Phoenix
Company completed the erection very quickly as it was ready for testing
on 13 December 1880. In effect, this is two bridges
either side of Lemieux Island, just above the Chaudiere
The original bridge consisted of 11 spans of 165 ft., one span of 145
ft. and one span of 265 ft. The substructure consisted of
piers founded on rock, which is located at no great distance below the
water level except the longest span where there is about 30 ft. of
The original Phoenix pin and eye-bar spans carried
into the CPR period but the decision was taken in 1926 to replace the
original superstructure with spans of stiff rivetted construction
capable of carrying heavier loads. The substructure was found
be in excellent condition and with minor repairs and changes to
accommodate the new pier members, it was continued in service to carry
the heavier locomotive loadings. The contractor for the
fabrication and erection of the steel work for the new bridge was the
Dominion Bridge Company, Montreal. The erection work,
over 8 months, was completed February 28, 1927 and was carried out
without mishap or delay to trains.
The last train to
ran over the
Prince of Wales Bridge on July 26, 2001. This was an Ottawa
Central Railway work train hauling ballast for the track work being
undertaken in connection with the opening of the O Train
Ray Farand took these two pictures on that day:
Drone video of the bridge by Moe Cote
Drone video by Moe Cote.
This shows the Quebec side
St. L&O Rideau River Bridge (the White
The original bridge was inspected by Thomas Ridout of
Department of Railways and Canals on 15 July 1882, it being the
intention of the St. Lawrence and Ottawa
to open this line, which had been build eleven
years earlier, to passenger traffic. The Inspector found:
"All the bridges are of timber -
the principal one
a Howe truss deck bridge over the Rideau River
composed of three spans of 100 ft each resting on
masonry abutments and piers. This having been erected in
now eleven years old and has lasted the general life of unpainted and
unprotected timber bridges. Upon a careful examination by
I found that many members of the chords and floor beams were in a bad
state of decay and
from other indications as well I have no hesitation in stating that I
consider this structure in an unsafe condition. Carpenters
now engaged in putting in new oak prism blocks
and screwing the trusses up, but the time has passed for mere
repairs as the strength of every portion of the bridge is much
reduced from age and therefore cannot be relied upon. In
my opinion an entirely new structure is required."
This bridge was
rebuilt with four
truss girder spans with a total length of 303' 4".
are to be found in the Ballantyne collection which is in the National
Archives. At this time it was known as the "White Bridge".
November 1912 BRC order 18075 authorized the CPR to
bridge. Details are shown in Order in Council PC 1912-2645 of 28
September 1912. The work consisted of replacement
of the three 100' through spans by one 100' deck lattice span, two 60'
deck plate girder spans and two
30' deck plate girder spans. As the bridge was in the
vicinity of the locks at Hogs Back on the Rideau Canal, the CPR was
required to keep clear of ice the two short openings which will be left
at the north and south ends of the bridge which might become jammed by
ice during the spring freshets each year.This work was completed and
to operate over the reconstructed structure was obtained through order
21531 of 21
The existing 100' central span of the bridge was
originally located at mile
88.2 on the Sherbrooke Subdivision and was presumably installed during
the 1912-14 reconstruction.
Pictures taken during the reconstruction by Canada Foundry/Hamilton Bridge
Showing the demolition of the original structure
On 3 May 1913, the
The new C.P.R. bridge over the
Rideau river a mile
Hog's Back has been practically completed. It is a low black
bridge and the piers used for the former structure have been used.
CPR were authorized to
reconstruct the north end of the bridge (BTC order 123335).
On 15 January
order R-1480 authorized the CPR to "operate over the northerly span of
the Rideau River bridge which crosses over the Campus Road of Carleton
mileage of the bridge is
as m. 2.64 of the Prescott sub,
this became m. 2.51, presumably with the change in
from Broad Street to Ottawa West and finally it became m. 2.38 of the
On 13 October 1923 a light locomotive passed over a party of Girl Guides on the bridge. For full details see:
No. 1201 on the Rideau River bridge. From
a postcard in the
Science and Technology Museum, Mattingly collection, Matt-7738.
St. L&O Rideau Canal Bridge at Dows Lake (also known as the
The St. Lawrence and Ottawa Railway was authorized to
swing bridge across the Rideau Canal
by order in council PC 1871-523
of 12 January
1871. This was in
connection with the proposed extension to the Ottawa River.
was approved on the following conditions:
(1) The Company shall construct and maintain abutments and piers and
connected with the bridge and form a channel of sufficient width and
depth on both sides of the centre pier and grade a towing path on both
sides of the Canal across the space occupied by the bridge at its sole
(2) The Company shall constantly keep men at the bridge to open it for
the passage of vessels during the season of navigation and that such
arrangements shall be made to ensure no delay or detention to vessels
in consequence of the bridge or any of the works connected with it;
(3) The Company shall be held strictly responsible for any damage that
may arise to vessels through obstruction of the Canal whether through
inattention or neglect on the part of the company or its servants -
improper maintenance of the works, accident or otherwise.
On July 15 1881 the bridge was inspected by Thomas
Department of Railways and Canals in connection with the application by
the railway to commence carrying passengers. The government inspector
"The next bridge of importance is that over
swing bridge of two openings 40 feet each, resting on timber crib
abutments and centre pier. The timber of this was also tested
with an auger which shewed that considerable decay existed,
particularly in the centre member of the chords, which were completely
rotten. The floor beams are becoming soft and many of the oak
timbers of the turntable are decaying. The cribs are also in
bad condition and have settled to a great extent - a few pieces have
been added to bring them up to level. This bridge should also
The Ottawa Free Press of 27 March 1886 noted:
"A new wooden swing bridge is being erected
on the line
St. L. & O. railway over the Rideau canal. Quite a
builders are engaged in the work."
Following a further rebuilding, the CPR was authorized
bridge by BRC order 12053
of 21 November1910
and further work was carried out in 1914. Orders 21062 of 22 December1913 and 22920 of 26
Order in Council PC
1916-743 of 4
1916 describes a more
"Under date of 3 March 1871 a license was granted to
Lawrence and Ottawa Railway, their successors, heirs and assigns, to
build, maintain and occupy for the purposes of the Company, a swing
bridge over the Rideau Canal at the entrance to the cut on the
southerly side of Dow's Swamp.
The Canadian Pacific Railway, successors to the St. Lawrence and
Ottawa, now desire to construct a new substructure replacing the
present old timber and cribs with a permanent structure. Approves a
plan showing the proposed work."
The detailed work was authorized by BRC order 24969
of 10 May 1916.
An interlocking plant was installed under authority of
order 30633 of 9 February
construct an interlocking
plant at bridge No. 1.9 over the Rideau Canal
on condition that when a distant signal is at "stop", all trains must
come to a full stop at that signal and then proceed to the home signal
and there be governed by the rules covering the operation of
Changes were made to the interlocking under BTC order 72440 of 19 May 1949 and 72725 of 11 July
Trains were limited to10 mph.but 30633 was amended to remove the
requirement to come to a stop when the distant signal was at stop.
The Rideau Canal swing bridge was taken out of service with the opening
to traffic of the Dows Lake tunnel on 3 May 1967.
These two pictures from the collection of
The following pictures were all taken by Bill Linley
Smiths Falls - Ottawa Train 84 led by 8787 approaching the home signal
on May 14, 1967. The train was stopped while the bridge was
turned. I was standing on the edge of Colonel By Drive.
S-2 7025 at twilight on July 31, 1967, returning to Ottawa West with
the Sussex Switcher. The next day the new tunnel under the
canal would open to traffic. Not the raised arm on the signal in
North Shore Train 131 with 9104 and 9021 showing the tender's hut on June 17, 1967.
hut is quiet and the canal empty as Montreal-bound Train 76 crosses on
March 2, 1967. Note the silver pole in the distance.
Perhaps the pole is the home signal with the blades removed for the
Train 134. Take note of the distant signal between the pedestrian and
the hydro pole on Prince of Wales Drive. August 18, 1966.
Picture of rodding, now gone, provided by Bernie Geiger
This bridge was
built by the M&O
opened on 17 July 1898. The M&O had already been
the CPR in perpetuity on 15 November 1892, so this was really a CPR
bridge. It is an 8-span through steel girder bridge,each side plate
girders being 65 feet x 74" x 15",on a slight curve. There
masonry abutments. The curved ends of the bridge at the east
have faintly visible raised lettering in the steel, reading "Carnegie."
meaning that the bridge was produced by Andrew Carnegie's Carnegie
Steel Company, formed on 1 July 1892. The
steel in this bridge is original.
25 September 1956 Paterson George
The bridge has been
converted into a
path. A new utilitarian deck will (1999) sit above the steel cross
beams. A second handrail will be added to raise the present
(also not original), for bicyle safety which will change the external
appearance of the bridge somewhat.
B&P Rideau River Bridge
This bridge was the
Rideau River and was opened when
the B&P extended into Sussex Street in January
1855. It consisted of four 96' 11" through truss spans with
masonry piers and crib abutments. The crib abutments were
to concrete by authority
of BRC order 33470
of 23 March 1923.
There was a second 53' 10 1/2" Pl girder span
bridge with crib abutments. The bridges were taken out after
abandonment of the Sussex Street subdivision in April 1964.
three piers in the main river can be seen today, although
one can only be seen at low water.
This is an artists impression of the bridge
Packet of 1
The caption reads "View of Bytown and the bridge to cross the Rideau -
taken from a point on the east side of the river near New Edinburgh".
Of course the bridge wasn't built until some three years later and the
final version exhibited some detailed differences from this drawing.
Photo taken from the
south west corner
by Bill Linley on Tuesday, March 16, 1965.
You can see the link and
construction and how the lower chords and
the diagonals are all tension members, while the upper chords and the
verticals are all steel beams in compression.
This appears to be a Whipple Pratt Truss (with
diagonals), according to the following two descriptions:
The Pratt truss was originally patented by Thomas and
1844. In its earliest form, the Pratt truss was a combination wood and
iron truss. The top chord and verticals acted in compression and were
made of wood, while the bottom chord and inclined members acted in
tension and were made of iron. This combination Pratt truss was built
through the 19th century and was cited as a continued form by bridge
engineers as late as 1908. The Pratt truss survived the transition to
metal construction and was widely built as an all-metal truss well into
the 20th century. In 1916, bridge engineer and historian J.A.L. Waddell
claimed that the Pratt truss was the most commonly used truss type for
spans under 250 feet. Whipple Pratt Truss The Whipple Pratt truss, also termed Double
truss, added additional diagonals to the basic Pratt truss, which
extended across two panels, but kept the parallel top and bottom chords
of the simple Pratt profile. Squire Whipple’s double intersection truss
was patented in 1847. In 1863 John W. Murphy, chief engineer of the
Lehigh Valley Railroad, slightly modified the Whipple Pratt truss by
adding crossing diagonals. The Whipple Pratt truss was widely used for
long span railroad bridges.
You can also see the stone arch over the pathway at
was wantonly demolished by the NCC a few years ago, and which I think
dates from the 1855 bridge, so was the oldest railway artifact in the
original City of Ottawa.
Showing after the
bridge was removed but before the underpass was destroyed. Frayne
Frayne collection F2-1624
CAR Rideau River
This was opened
with the opening of
into Ottawa on 13 September 1882. There are two excellent
pictures of this structure in the National Archives. PA 12198
shows the locomotive Georgia on the bridge in August 1882 while PA
27315 shows locomotive 21 posed
with one passenger car in October 1893. The bridge was
the Toronto Bridge Company whose plate can be seen on both early photos
although it has been damaged by 1893.
BRC order 492
of 6 June 1905
CAR to reconstruct the substructure and this work was approved by order
529 of 4 July 1905. After this time it had three through
spans of 133.75 ft. and a total length of 401 feet. Further work by the
GTR was approved by order 21525 of 20
It seems the basic
structure survived until it was taken out of service with the opening
of the new Union Station on 31 July 1966.
River Bridge at Hurdman
This bridge was
authorized by BRC
order 7503 of
9 July 1909.
Order 7945 of
2 September 1909
approved the Hamilton Bridge Company Diagram A of 13
August 1909 being strain sheets. It was opened on 3 December
and saw low use until closed with the abandonment of the CNR Hurdman
line in 17 June 1966.
The CNOR bridge
over the Rideau River
Beachburg subdivision was authorized by BRC order 13668 of 18 May 1911
the plans were approved by order 14828
20 September 1911.
the opening of the line from Hurdman to Smiths Falls on 3 December
CNOR Greens Creek Bridge
This was authorized by BRC order 5584
12 November 1908 and
was opened to carriage on 3 December 1909. The centre steel
viaduct contained an 80' span, 3 60' spans and 5 30' spans, (410' x
65'). East approach consisted of 11 bents on sills, (150' x
while the west approach contained 21 bents frame trestle
on piles, (300' x 53').
BRC order 28704
of 22 August 1919
gave CNR authority to reconstruct the bridge. This work was
completed and authority given to use the bridge by order 32770 of 21 August 1922.
It is likely
that the east and west approaches were filled in at this time - an
aerial photo of around 1930 shows only the main viaduct.
The Greens Creek bridge was taken out of use and dismantled after the
closure of the line in 1939
CNOR bridges over the Carp, Mississippi and Ottawa Rivers
Stoney Creek (Beachburg subdivision)
Railway and Marine World,
December 1915, page 453.
On the Canadian Northern
transcontinental line, about 35 miles west of Ottawa, are four closely
The first bridge, over the Carp River, consists of two 75 ft. half
girder spans with a 200 ft. truss span between them. The next crossing,
the Mississippi River, is of two 75 ft. half through and a 121½
ft. half through girder span, between the two 75 ft. spans. A mile
down is the Stoney Creek bridge, which had three 85 ft. half through
spans. The fourth is a long crossing over the Chats Rapids of the
River, and is made up of 10 deck girder spans, including 5 plate girder
spans each 115 ft. long, 2 of 121½ ft., one 200 ft. through
truss and one 280 ft. through rivetted truss spans. The total weight of
the bridges is about 2,800 tons.
The masonry foundations were all in at the time the superstructure
contractor's men arrived on the job on June 20, 1914. The plant arrived
a day later and at the Carp River, driving piles and building falsework
started at once. The easterly girder span was first erected, then the
chords and floor system of the truss span, were placed in position as
as the falsework was built. The trusses were erected by a locomotive
after the floor system was completed. An air hammer was used for
the piles, air being supplied by a steam compressor, which was also
for driving rivets. This bridge was completed so that the construction
crossed on July 16, 1914, and track laying was started to the
bridge and completed so as to allow erection of that bridge to start on
A camp was established at this point and maintained until the erection
work was started at Chats Rapids, at which point a splendid camp for
use through the winter was built, and the men were made as comfortable
they could be at home. The river bed at the Mississippi is rock, so
a temporary timber bent trestle was erected, which permitted running
the girders on the cars, from which they were unloaded into place. The
girders of the Mississippi River Bridge weighed 52 tons each, and were
by using a gallows frame, in connection with the 50 ton locomotive
Piles were driven at Stoney Creek, on which a temporary track was
constructed, and the girders carried into place from a side track by
crane. These girders weighed about 25 tons each. This bridge was
on Sept. 3. 1914, but a serious delay occurred after this. About the
the track was laid to Chats Rapids, the grader's locomotive upset in a
sink hole, and a very difficult job of rescuing it was accomplished by
calling in the Terry & Tench Co.'s erecting plant. The
was set up, and the pile driver used to build a trestle across the sink
the big locomotive crane was used to pick up the locomotive and set it
on the track. This caused a delay of three weeks, and threw the
of the Chats Rapids Bridge long into the late autumn and winter.
Work was finally started at Chats Rapids on Sept. 16, 1914, and a 25
ton guy derrick, having an 88 ft. mast and a 75 ft. boom, was erected
alongside the track, about 200 yards from the first or easterly span,
where a storage and sorting yard was established. The first span, 121
ft. deck girder, was erected after the temporary falsework was built,
using the same method as at Mississippi River. The next span was a 200
ft. through truss over deep water, running very swiftly, the bottom
rock with great boulders, making it very difficult to secure a safe
for the piles. The piles used were 14 in. x 14 in. 50 to 60 ft. long,
British Columbia fir, with, cast iron points. They were driven into the
by the air hammer, sufficiently to get a good bearing. In addition to
deep water and swift current at this crossing, immense quantities of
logs were constantly being floated down the river to mills at Hull, and
other places, and it was necessary to keep watchmen day and night to
falsework from destruction. On top of the falsework the bottom chords
floor systems of both the 200 and 290 ft. through spans were built, and
permanent track laid as the work advanced. From this track the trusses
erected by the use of the locomotive crane, the material being pushed
on cars by the railway locomotive from the sorting yard. The shopwork
these trusses was such that on the 290 ft. span the end posts, which
erected last, did not even require a wedge to be driven in order to
them to the top and bottom chords. As all of the girder spans in this
were of the deck type, without cover plates on the top chords, the
care had to be used in handling them. The work of erecting this bridge,
was 1,589 feet long, was completed on Jan. 16, 1915, the camp abandoned
the plant shipped away. The falsework and a large part of the erection
was shipped to Troy, N.Y., to be used in building the Congress St.
across the Hudson River.
The falsework timber used in the whole of the above work was British
Columbia fir of the best quality, cut for the purpose. In addition
about 200 piles were purchased locally. Throughout the whole work there
not a single serious accident, and the health of the men was splendid.
The contract for the fabrication and erection of the above work was let
by Mackenzie, Mann and Co., to Canadian Allis-Chalmers Ltd., Toronto,
who sublet the erection to the Terry & Tench Co. Inc. of New
H. Grant, Manager of Construction, Mackenzie, Mann and Co., had general
charge. C. T. Smith was Superintendent of the work for the Terry
Tench Co., and much credit is due him for the successful carrying out
of the undertaking; Geo. Fisher was his assistant; Nicholas Dowd had
charge of the locomotive crane. About 60 men were employed throughout
the job, and were all hired locally. The contractors state that it
would be difficult to get a better working force of men together. The
weather in the summer was greatly in
favor of the work, but storms in the winter caused some delay.
QMO&O Bridges on the North Shore Line
The Quebec government hired
photographers to record the bridges on the QMO&O on completion
1878, Henderson to document the bridges between Montreal and Hull and
Livernois those between Montreal and Quebec. An album of
photographs survives in the National Gallery in Ottawa (call number
TG445.P57) which contains 24 photographs, 20 covering the line from
Hull to Montreal. They are arranged in sequence from Hull
towards Montreal as follows (mileages shown are those of the Lachute
subdivision measured from Montreal):
River, mile 109.4.
With 4-4-0 #17.
mile 100.2. In final stages of completion.
mile 100.2. With 4-4-0 #17 and 3 cars.
mile 92.7. Looking through the bridge with rails covered in
River, mile 89.2.
mile 84.6. Two locomotives back to back.
62.0. With 4-4-0 and one passenger car.
4-4-0 #16, steam shovel and flat car, this is the only picture not of a
West side of
West side of
North River of
River. With 4-4-0, poor quality.
Isles. "Clark Reeves & Co. Phoenixville Bridge Works, Pa.
The bridges were built by the
Company, Pa. and the pictures and make a wonderful record of a railway
The bridges saw
service on the QMO&O
later the CPR until they were rebuilt 1923-1925 in order to be able to
handle heavier loadings. This was recorded
Canadian Railway and Marine
June 1923, page 277:
Lachute Subdivision Bridges. - We are officially advised that the
following bridges on the Lachute Subdivision, Quebec District, are
Bridge 56.8, Kingly Branch. - Existing 37 ft. deck plate girder span to
be replaced by a 30 ft. I beam span.
Bridge 60.1, Calumet River. - Existing 50 ft. deck truss span to be
replaced by a 50 ft. deck plate girder span.
Bridge 62, La Rouge River. - Existing bridge, consisting of three 150
ft. deck truss spans, to be replaced by three spans of similar type and
dimensions, but of heavier structure.
Bridge 64.3, Riviere au Chene. - Existing 50 ft. deck truss span to
be replaced by a 50 ft. half deck plate girder span.
Bridge 67.2, Salmon Creek. - Existing 50 ft. deck truss span to be
replaced by a 50 ft. half deck plate girder span.
Bridge 72.8, Salmon River. - Existing 100 ft. through truss span to
be replaced by a 100 ft. deck plate girder span.
Bridge 79.17, Papineauville Creek. - Existing 18 ft. deck plate girder
span to be replaced by an 18 ft. I beam span.
Bridge 97.6, Trepanier Creek. - Existing 29 ft. deck plate girder span
to be replaced by a 25 ft. Bethlehem I beam span.
Bridge 80.1, Trepanier Creek. - Existing 30 ft. deck plate girder span
to be replaced by a span of similar type and dimensions, but of heavier
Bridge 84.6, North Nation River. - Existing bridge, consisting of one
150 ft., one 200 ft., and one 100 ft. through truss spans, to be
replaced by two 78 ft. and two 53 ft. deck plate girder spans and one
200 ft. deck truss span.
Bridge 89.2, Blanche Creek. - Existing 50 ft. deck truss span to be
replaced by a 50 ft. half deck plate girder span.
Bridge 92.7, Blanche River. - Existing 100 ft. through truss span to be
replaced by a 100 ft. deck plate girder span.
Bridge 106.1, Blanche Creek. - Existing present 50 ft. deck truss span
to be replaced by a 50 ft.-half deck plate girder span.
Bridge 109.4, Blanche River. - Existing 100 ft. through truss span to
be replaced by a 100 ft. deck plate girder span.
We are also advised that contracts have been let as follows:
To McKinnon Steel Co., Sherbrooke, Que., for fabrication of steel for
bridges 56.8, 80.1 and 97.6;
to Dominion Bridge Co., Montreal, fabrication and erection of bridges
62 and 84.6;
and to Canadian Bridge Co., Walkerville, Ont., for fabrication and
erection of the other bridges named above, and for the erection of
bridges 56.8, 80.1 and 97.6.
Bridge over the Rideau River at Merrickville, Winchester subdivision
The CPR Holiday Train 2015 More Bob Heathorn photos of the bridge at bottom.
This plan is dated 9 July 1886 (NMC 146075)
On 15 August 1887 the Ontario and
Railway (Canadian Pacific) opened the Smiths Falls section
Vaudreuil and Smiths Falls. The bridge over the Rideau River was in
service from that date. Freight and passenger trains
(possibly mixed trains) commenced operation between Perth and
Merrickville on 25 October 1886. This bridge at mile 114.2
Winchester subdivision comprises two 33 foot
girder spans, six 78'6" girder spans and one 150 foot through
truss spans on masonry piers and abutments.
The proposed site of the bridge was approved on 20 July 1886 by Order
in Council PC 1886-1500. Formal approval was granted so far as the
Rideau Canal was concerned on 11 March 1907 by Order in Council PC
Approval to use and operate the bridge was granted on 26 March 1909 by
Board of Railway Commissioners order 6691.
On 22 May 1969 the Canadian Transport Commission approved the
reconstruction of the abutments through order R-5743
following are taken from a facebook post of Canada Foundry/Hamilton
Bridge photos of the original bridge and the 1907 rebuild.