Details of Railway Accidents in the Ottawa Area

1947, 10 January - Three cars derail from a broken wheel on a Canadian National passenger train at Brockville

From the Ottawa Journal  Saturday 11 January 1947

Eight Train Passengers Hurt In Derailment Near Brockville
BROCKVILLE, Jan, 10 (Special) Eight persons were injured and nearly 70 more passengers badly shaken up, when the three rear cars of the Canadian National Railways Toronto-Montreal Flyer, were derailed about two miles west of the Brockville station about 3.30 p.m. today.
One of the derailed cars turned over on its side and skidded 50 feet through 10-foot snow banks, knocking off telegraph poles along the right-of-way. The east-bound track on the  main line was expected to be cleared for through traffic before midnight.
One man, Max Hornstein, 219 St. Joseph Blvd., Montreal commercial traveller, was taken to the hospital here for treatment of back and chest injuries. He also suffered, from shock. Others who were injured, but none seriously, were: Arthur Freeman, Murray. Goldstein,. E. M. Evans, H. Vilner, William Ledger, of Montreal E. R. Price, of Galt, and D. Dalgleish, of Kingston, The latter received a severe cut under his chin.
Passengers Moved.
The 75-80 passengers in the derailed coach were transferred to the remainder of the through train, No. 14, and taken to Brockville station from the scene of the accident  which occurred at the western limits of Manitoba yards. Those injured received first aid -treatment at the Brockville station and Mr. Hornstein was conveyed to hospital by Dr. E. J, F. Williams.
Two extra coaches were attached to the train and it left Brockville Station about an hour and 20 mtnutes behind schedule.
Snow was piled high on either side of the right-of-way where the accident occurred.  A broken wheel in the third from the rear car was believed to have caused the accident. The car with the broken wheel rolled over on its side and skidded into the ditch alongside the main line. The deep show was credited with preventing it from rolling over again. It came to rest at right angles to the track. The other two derailed cars remained upright.
Mr. Hornstein said he thought it was a miracle that someone was not seriously injured.
"I don't know how we escaped." he said. "I was thrown into the air and took two complete somersaults before smashing into the railing of the smoker", he added.
"I heard the peculiar clicking noise of the wheel as four friends and myself were playing cards in the smoker. I told them I didn't like the sound the wheel was making when it happened. We were thrown into the air while the lights went out. Glass was breaking all around us. I landed against the opposite side of the smoker. Others were under me.
Able to Crawl Out.
"We were able to crawl out the door. From the sounds in the car I felt sure several would be seriously seriously hurt", he said.
Brockville work crews were busy preparing for the clearing operations.  The crane from Montreal was expected here some time tonight to right the overturned car.
The cars were derailed about 15 feet past an old trestle. Railwaymen considered it a miraculous escape from near disaster. Had the accident occurred a short distance west it, would have faced a 20-foot embankment and the danger of a higher speed. It was estimated that the train was travelling between 40 and 50 miles an hour when the accident took place. Mr. Hornstein was taken to St. Vincent de Paul Hospital where X-ray examination revealed he did not suffer broken bones.
J. L. Pullen, of Ottawa, conductor of the Ottawa train connecting with the flyer at Brockville, told The Journal he knew of no Ottawa-bound passengers injured in the accident.
The train made up part of the one hour and 20 minutes lost through the derailment, and reached Union Station at 6.14 p.m., 44 minutes late.
The Toronto train due at Union Station at 10.20 p.m., was delayed one hour while workmen cleared the right-of-way at Brockville.

From the Ottawa Citizen, 11 January 1947.

Brockville Jan. 10.  Eight persons were injured, one seriously, when a broken wheel derailed three coaches of the Canadian National Railways Toronto-Montreal passenger train as it approached the station just west of here this afternoon.
Commercial traveller M. Hornstein of Montreal , most seriously injured, was detained in hospital but the seven others continued their trip after receiving first aid. They were: Arthur Freeman, Murray Goldstein, E.M. Evans, H. Milner and William Ledger, all of Montreal; E.R. Price of Galt, Ont., and E. Dalgleish of Kingston, Ont.
One of the three derailed coaches toppled over on its side but the other two remained upright.  Some 75 passengers were distributed among the three cars.
"I don't know how any of us escaped." said Hornstein later in hospital.  "I took three somersaults in the air and landed against the window.  The train was delayed in Brockville only 40 minutes, but wrecking crews from Montreal would not have the main line cleared before late tonight.  Section gangs, laboring to replace twisted rails and shattered ties at the scene of the deraiment, were still working at 10.30 tonight and the line was still closed to traffic,
The accident occurred only 50 feet east of the 30pfoot embankment leading to the western limit of the railway yards.  Two telegraph poles were sheared off by the overturned coach, but the telegraphic communication was not interrupted. The injured were given first aid treatment at Union station by Dr. E.J.F. Williams, of Brockville.
After two coached were added to the train, it continued on to Montreal.
With the exception of Mr. Hornstein, the injured passengers received only cuts and bruises.

Return to Main Page of Railway Accidents

Updated 4 April 2018