Details of Railway Accidents in the Ottawa Area

1944, June 26 - Crossing collision at Richmond, CNR Smiths Falls sub. One fatality

Ottawa Journal 27 June 1944

Fast Freight Kills Richmond Farmer Father of Twelve
RICHMOND, Ont., June 26. (Special) Failing to hear the warning whistle of an approaching train, Michael J. Watters, 47-year-old Richmond farmer, father of 12 children, was instantly killed about 8.40 tonight when the automobile he was driving was struck by a fast westbound C.N. R. freight train at the railway crossing at Richmond station, one mile south of here.
The impact of the collision flung the automobile against the railway sign post, some 60 feet away, killing Watters, the sole occupant and smashing the car.
Dr. C. D. Wallace, county coroner, was called and later announced that an inquest would be held. The date was not decided.
Watters was returning to his home at Twin Elm from Richmond, a distance of two-and-one-half miles and was driving south along the highway when he came to the crossing and failed to hear the warning blasts from the train whistle. The engineer stated he blew the whistle several times in a vain attempt to arouse the attention of Watters. There were no other witnesses. The train was a mixed freight travelling from Ottawa to Belleville.
The body was removed to the George Stewart Funeral Parlors, pending funeral arrangements. Sgt. E. V. McNeill and Constables T. H. Trimble and J. McBain, of the Ontario Provincial Police from Ottawa investigated.
Watters was a life-long farmer of this district and well-known in the community. He is survived by his wife, the former Mildred Foley, of Stittsville, and 12 children including two daughters residing in Ottawa. He was a member of St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Fallowfield.

Ottawa Citizen 27 June 1944

Hurled 70 Feet, M. J. Watters Dies
RICHMOND, June 26 (Special) Hurled more than 70 feet into a telephone pole at the side of the track, when his automobile was struck by an eastbound train at the C.N.R. level crossing 500 feet west of Richmond station, Michael J. Watters, well known resident of the district, was instantly killed a few minutes after 8.30 this evening. According to witnesses who had been speaking to the unfortunate man previous to the accident, he had left town to return to his home on the outskirts of the village.
Dr. C. D. Wallace, county coroner, adjourned the inquest opened last night until next week. The train which struck Mr. Watters' car, was a passenger train bound for Ottawa. It had signalled its approach to the station several hundred feet before arriving at the crossing  according to railway officials.
In addition to his wife, the former Mildred Foley of Stittsville, Mr. Watters is survived by 12 children.
The body is resting at the parlors of the George M. Stewart home, Richmond, until completion of funeral arrangements.

Return to Main Page of Railway Accidents

Updated 15 June 2022