Details of Railway Accidents in the Ottawa Area

1930, June 13 - Crossing collision Hull, CPR., Lachute sub., one injured

Ottawa Journal 14 June 1930

Man on bicycle struck by train
O. Deschamps, 28, seriously injured on Hull Street crossing.

Struck by the C.P.R.. Montreal North Shore train at 4.55 o'clock yesterday afternoon, Omer Deschamps, 28, 131 St. Hyacinthe Street, Hull, was hurtled 30 feet through the air while riding his bicycle over the St. Hyacinthe street crossing. He escaped with a fractured thigh and numerous painful and severe head injuries.
At the time of the accident Mr. Deschamps was on his way home, proceeding north on St. Hyacinthe Street. Upon arriving at the crossing, Mr. Deschamps, who was going at about 15 miles an hour or slightly more, according to reports, failed to notice the excited gestures of the crossing watchman, Louis Edgar Hellan, 66 Main street, who was holding up traffic, and who yelled wildly at Deschamps.
Mr. Deschamps, unable to stop in time, sped across the tracks to be struck by the locomotive near the middle of his bicycle.
A crowd rushed to pick him up, unconscious, about 30 ft from where the accident took place.
The train came to a grinding stop some distance away. Constable Emile Carpentier of the Hull police force, was summoned and Mr. Deschamps was removed to Sacred Heart Hospital, Hull in Beauchamp's ambulance where he is at present under the care of Dr. J. R. Belisle.
The train, on its way to Montreal, was in charge of George Thorburn, conductor, and M. Moran, engineer. Mr. Deschamps' condition is described by hospital authorities as fair.

Ottawa Citizen 14 June 1930

Cyclist Struck By Train at Crossing :
Omer Deschamps of Hull in Hospital With Condition Reported as Fair.
Omer Deschamps. 131 St. Hyacinthe street, Hull, is lying in the Hull Sacred Heart Hospital following injuries he sustained while riding a bicycle on St. Hyacinthe street, Hull, when he was struck at a level railway crossing by the 4:55 Montreal North Shore train.
According to witnesses, the injured man was proceeding north, failed to see the approaching train and was struck by the fender of the engine and thrown about 20 feet. Deschamps was picked up by L. Gagnon and Arthur Monette, two eye-witnesses of the accident, taken to a nearby store and later, by Beauchamps ambulance, to the hospital, where he received medical attention by Dr. J. R. Belisle.
The train was in charge of Conductor A. Morran and Engineer L. Thorbum. Constable Emile Carpentier of the Hull police, investigated the accident and made a report.

Return to Main Page of Railway Accidents

Updated 7 January 2021