Details of Railway Accidents in the Ottawa Area

1922, April 22 - Man falls from CPR. train near Osgoode, Prescott sub., one fatality

Ottawa Journal Monday 24 April 1922

E. A. Anctil, Quebec, Fractures Skull Near Osgoode.
Mr. E A. Anctil. export tailor of Quebec City, aged 53, fell off the rear of the incoming C.P.R. Toronto train, near Osgoode, on Saturday nlght at 8.55. He is now lying in Rideau Street Hospital with a fractured skull and a broken bone in his right leg. He had not regained consciousness this morning. His son, Mr. R. E. Anctil, arrived from Quebec last evening. Dr. T. H. Legett is attending him.
The train was travelling rapidly when the accident occurred and it did not come to a stop until almost two miles from the spot. The train backed up. preceded by trainmen searching the ground with lanterns. As soon as Mr. Anctil was found he was placed on the train and rushed to Ottawa. Dr. H. C. Wert, of Smith Falls, who was on the train, rendered first aid. News of the accident had been sent on ahead and the ambulance of George Burney & Son was waiting to take the injured man on his arrival to hospital.
Mr. Anctil boarded the train at Toronto. Towards evening he appeared to be unwell, and as soon as the train had passed Ambrose he went out on the observation platform at the rear of the train, apparently seeking fresh air. Mr. and Mrs. George Pushman of Ottawa were the only other passsengers in the parlor car at the time. Mr. Pushman saw the man leaning over the railing on the platform, Fearing an accident, he rushed out to him but was only able to catch a foot as the rest of the body fell over. Mr. Anctil's weight nearly pulled Mr. Pushman off the platform and he had to let go of his hold.  Mrs. Pushman, in the meanwhile, had given the alarm to the porter, who pulled the communiction cord.
According to Mr. Pushman, the man fell on his head on the track and rolled a number of times before stopping. When found Mr. Anctil was unconscious and bleeding freely from his head injuries. As soon as the train arrived in Ottawa, word of the accident was sent to the family living at 53, Buade street, Quebec, according to papers found in the man's coat. The son, Mr. R.E. Anctil, arrived last night on the Montreal train

Ottawa Citizen Monday 24 April 1922

F. A. Anctil Gravely Injured .. Had Gone to Rear of the Train.
After falling off the rear of the C.P.R. Toronto-Ottawa, train, travelling in the direction of Ottawa, 9.30 Saturday night. F. A. Anctil, importing tailor, of Quebec city, was admitted to the Protestant General hospital. Rideau street, and today was reported to be in a critical condition. Mr. R. E. Anctil. of Quebec, son of the injured man, arrived in the city last night.
How the injured man came to fall off the train is unknown. It is said that he was travelling in the first class coach and walked back to the rear of the train through the parlor car and out onto the rear platform, when the train was but a short distance south of the city. He was missed shortly afterwards and the train was brought to a stop and a search made. Some distance back he was found in an unconscious condition, lying on the tracks.
Dr. H. C. Wert. of Smiths Falls, who was on the train, rendered him "first aid" and he was brought to the city. Burney and Son's ambulance met the train at the station and took the injured man to the Rideau street hospital.
Today the man was still in an unconscious condition and his state was considered very serious. Dr. R. M. Leggett. who is attending him, stated that he was severely injured about the head, and grave fears are held that his skull is fractured. His right knee is also badly injured

Ottawa Citizen 26 April 1922

E. A. Anctil Succumbs to Injuries.
Mr. E. A. Anctil, of Quebec city, retail tailor, who fell off the rear of the C.P.R. Toronto-Ottawa train, as it was nearing the city on Saturday night, died at an early hour this morning at a local hospital. Two daughters and a son are in the city and will take the body with them to Quebec but as yet have not completed arrangements.
Coroner Saulter opened an inquest this morning at Burney and Son's morgue, and the inquiry was adjourned until May 3.
More but only repetition of original item.

Ottawa Journal 4 May 1922

That Emile Armand Anctil. of Quebec City, came to his death on April 26. at a local hospital through injuries to his brain caused by an accident when he fell through the rear end of a Toronto-Ottawa C.P.R. train, near Osgoode Station was the verdict of the jury at the Police Station last night. Coroner W. W, Baulter presided.
Evidence was given by F. W. Abbs, Toronto, the conductor, and also by W. Doricott. trainman. Dr. T. H. Leggett, who examined the injured man said he couldn't find a fracture of the skull but the brain was injured.
Several passengers were also examined among them being Mr. and Mrs. G. Pushman. 25 Fairburn avenue. Mr. Pushman made an attempt to catch the falling body as it lurched from the train, but was unsuccessful. Richard J. Durley. 654 Rideau street, also gave evidence, as did ths steward Geo. Walters, of Toronto, who told that Mr. Anctil had gone to the observation car, leaned over the railing, lost his balance and fell over.

Bruce Chapman writes October 2020

April 22nd, 1922, timetable #61 of October 2nd, 1921 would have been in effect.
#38 called ‘The Rideau’ was due out of Bedell at 2030, Osgoode 2048 as a flag stop, and  Ellwood 2116, daily except Sunday.

Return to Main Page of Railway Accidents

Updated 28 October 2020