Details of Railway Accidents in the Ottawa Area

1922, September 6 - Crossing collision at Chesterville, CPR., Winchester sub. 2 fatalities 3 injured

Ottawa Citizen 7 September 1922

American Auto Party On Way to Ottawa in Fatal Accident at Chesterville Crossing.
Man Killed Instantly, Woman Dies on Train, Others in Smiths Falls Hospital.
Chesterville, Ont. Sept 6 - Two are dead and three others are more or less seriously injured following a collision between a Ford sedan and the C.P.R. Montreal-Chicago flier, about a mile and quarter west of here at noon today.
The Dead.
George Murray, aged 33 years South Bombay, N. Y. Mrs. Helen Reynolds, aged 40. South Bombay, N. Y.
The Injured.
Mrs. Charles Murray, South Bombay, N. Y., aged 65 years, left leg amputated and scalp wounds, condition serious.
Mrs. George Murray, South Bombay, N. Y., scalp wounds and shock, condition not serious.
Miss Annabelle Greenwood, South Bombay, N. Y., aged 17, collar bone broken.
The party were motoring from South Bombay, N. Y., to Ottawa. South Bombay is about five miles from Moira, N. Y. The accident happened at 11.45 o'clock am., standard time.
For about a mile, or most of the way from Chesterville to the railway crossing where the fatal accident happened, the railway and road run parallel, and the driver of the car had full view of any train travelling along this stretch. In the opinion of Dr. Locke, of Williamsburg, the coroner, the driver of the auto, which was travelling the same direction as the train, apparently did not notice that the road crossed the railway tracks at this point.
The Ford sedan in which the party were driving reached the crossing at the same time as the Montreal-Chicago flier No. 19, which was travelling at 45 miles per hour. The train was in charge of Engineer Thomas Martin, of Montreal. Fire man A. Jeffrey, Montreal, and Conductor William Chapman, of Toronto.
Carried Auto Alone.
The front of the locomotive struck the automobile opposite the engine and turned the car completely over, and throwing out all its occupants. After turning the car over, the loco motive carried it along about three pole lengths.
When George Murray was picked up he was dead, with some ribs broken over his heart. It is thought that death was due to an internal hemmorhage. The other four occupants of the car were taken on the train and brought to Smiths Falls. Mrs. Reynolds, who was terribly injured, died on the train while en route to Smiths Falls. Mrs. Charles Murray and Miss Greenwood were taken to the General hospital at Smiths Falls, where Mrs. Murray had her leg amputated. Mrs. George Murray, wife of the late Mr. Murray, was taken to St. Francis hospital. She is the least injured of the party.
Dr. Locke, of Williamsburg, the coroner for Chesterville district, was notified of the death of the late Mr. Murray and at once went to Chesterville to view the remains. An inquest was opened. After the usual swearing in of the jury, the inquest was adjourned until next Wednesday noon, at the Chesterville town hall. This inquest will also cover the death of the late Mrs. Reynolds.
The remains of the late Mrs. Reynolds are in the morgue at Smiths Falls awaiting arrangements for shipment to South Bombay.

Return to Main Page of Railway Accidents

Updated 2 November 2020