The Railways of Ottawa

Finding No. 21   Railway Structures Destroyed (Mainly) by Fire


Fire destroys CNR stores and officce building at Ottawa East, 1 Sep 1963


Ottawa Citizen 3 Sep 1963 p3 c1

Flames shoot 300 feet as old CNR shop burns
Fire destroyed one of East Ottawa’s older railway buildings, the vacant Canadian National two-storey steam repair shop offices, in a matter of minutes Sunday evening.
Flames that shot 300 feet into the air drew hundreds of spectators to the scene, just west of Hurdman Road at Montcalm Street.
Intense heat kept firemen 200 feet back until the 60-year-old building collapsed. Yellow smoke billowed skyward and for a time blanketed Overbrook and Eastview.

Going good
Newell Wallace, of 117 Concord St., was one of the first to spot the blaze. He saw flames from his home, and by the time he reached the yards “the northeast corner was going good.”
Firemen were able only to contain the blaze and keep it from spreading to an adjoining one-storey structure, separated by a firewall, and a nearby roundhouse.

The buildings, built about 1904 by the defunct Canada Atlantic Railway, lay in the path of the Queensway and were scheduled for expropriation and demolition by National Capital Commission this fall


Ottawa Journal 3 Sep 1963 p3 c7

Crowds Hamper Firemen
Blaze Destroys Old CNR Building
Hundreds of spectators hampered firefighter’s efforts in battling a fire which Sunday evening destroyed a historic one-time ticket and administration office of the CNR in Ottawa East.
The building was empty at the time
Police were busy keeping the curious away from the fire, as some 60 cars drove to the area at the end of Montcalm Street near Pretoria Bridge. Many parked along the near-by Queensway.

PALL OF SMOKE
A pall of smoke covered the eastern end of the city, and the blaze which lit up the eastern sky could be seen from the West End.
The fire was first noticed by Ottawa Police Constable Harry Leonard at 7.25 p.m.—shortly after the building had been inspected by a CNR policeman.
Chief City Fire Inspector Phil Larkin, working with CNR and city police, said investigators hadn’t too much to go on but “children or a tramp probably started it.”
E.P. Burns, liaison officer between the National Capital Commission and CNR, estimated damage to the destroyed section of the 60-foot long, one floor building at $800 in salvage value.
The land and building is scheduled to be turned over to the NCC by the CNR to make way for part of Stage Five of the Queensway.

UNUSED SINCE 1956
The building has not been used by the CNR since 1956 when it was given up as the main Ottawa office. It included administrative offices and a repair centre for steam engines. It was built at the turn of the century by Canada Atlantic Railway, later turned over the the Grand Trunk and then to the CNR.




Updated 15 August 2025

Top     Home   Findings   Circle