|CNR Forfar Section house 17 February 1979
Ottawa Citizen 19 February 1979
Fire ousts family of five
WESTPORT (Staff) - A flash fire at noon Saturday (17/02) destroyed a house in the village of Forfar, leaving a family of five homeless. Merton Carbino, his wife and their three children were not at home in the former railway station [sic] when the blaze broke out. Firemen say the blaze started in the chimney. Albert Shire, chief of the volunteer fire department, said by the time his detachment made the 15-minute trip the flames were out of control. Shire reported neighbors sounded the alarm shortly before 12 p.m. Carbino, a track inspector with Canadian National Railways, was renting the house. Damage has been estimated at $20,000.
Phil Jago writes (September 2021) "there was a section house (2 storey) located across the tracks and to the east of all stations where our trackman lived at the time of the fire. That was the dwelling referred to in the 1979 listing"
Updated 26 September 2021