|Union Forwarding Company Freight House at Union village 22 September 1860
Repeated verbatim in the Kingzton Whig Standard of 1 October 1860 (except it said Saturday 22nd October which is correct)
We are sorry to learn that the Freight House, part of the Wharf and a few rods of the Railway, at Union village at the head of Chats Portage, were burned on Saturday the 21st [sic] inst. The fire is supposed to have originated from a spark from the funnel of the steamer Oregon as it was first discovered in the roof of the Freight house. The loss to the company will not exceed £250, as the Depot was empty; but we are sorry to say four or five horses belonging to poor people in the village, were destroyed.
Updated 6 March 2022