This timetable advertisement is from the Shawville Equity of November 1897. It shows stops at two tank lcations, the first at the Quio River? the second near Campbell's Bay.
|Originally an enclosed octagonal tank, later an all steel one|
Canadian Railway and Marine World July 1927. A steel water tank will be built at Breckenridge.
Timetable #51 of October 25th, 1959, less than a month after the last steam run, water was removed from Breckenridge (Bruce Chapman)
|Eardley, QC||No details|
looks as though Maryland on the Waltham Sub was originally known as
Smith’s station, then later renamed Bristol station and finally
Maryland station in about 1905.|
From the Bryson (Shawville) Equity, 2 Sep 1886
The company are commencing the erection of water tanks along the line. One is now under construction at Smith's station, Bristol, others are to be located at Ferris' Creek, Eardley and Clarke's stations, Clarendon. Messrs. R.H. Buchannan & Co., of Montreal are the builders.
TT#52 of April 24th, 1960, water gone at Maryland (Bruce Chapman)
Paterson George/LBC Collection
|Shawville Equity 9 November 1894|
The P. & P. J. Ry. had a staff of machinists engaged last week placing a steam apparatus in position at Campbell's Bay, which is to be used for pumping water into their tank at that place, the windmill having been displaced.
Shawville Equity 27 June 1907
The C.P.R. are putting up a new water tank and a dwelling house for the section foreman at Campbells Bay.
Timetable #53 of October 30th, 1960, water gone at Campbell’s Bay (Bruce Chapman)
|Fort Coulonge||Ottawa Citizen 10 December 1932 This refers to a story relating to the early days of the PP&J. At
the time of the story there wasn't a water tank at Fort Coulonge and
the engines had to be taken to a creek several miles past Fort Coulonge
where water was siphoned into the engines. The taking of the
engines to the creek was the duty of the watchman, who was an
ex-railroader. The watering was done after hours. Fort Coulonge
was then the terminus of the line.|
Note: The PP&J was opened from Shawville to Fort Coulonge in November 1886
Service between Fort Coulonge and Waltham commenced on 27 August 1894 (although the section was completed and rails were laid by February 1888.)
|Waltham||Timetable #53 of October 30th, 1960, water gone at Waltham (Bruce Chapman)|
Smiths Falls Division Yearbook 1967, water tanks still standing. Waltham 5,000 gals electric pump. This was presumably in the enginehouse.