Sussex Street Station, Ottawa - A Follow Up
The history of the Sussex Street
station was covered in
Branchline, December 2004 and a further picture of the station is shown
article on the opening of the Bytown and Prescott Railway in
February 2005. However, a number
additional items have come to light.
This plan, from the collection of Bruce
Chapman, shows the
track layout of the station area in the mid 1950’s, pretty much at the
its existence. To the west (left) can be
seen the double track streetcar line on Sussex Street.
The line runs right down the middle of
McTaggart Street and there are even switches in the street although
this may be
an unopened road allowance.
<>This is a view of the 1860 station,
possibly some time in
the 1940’s. This is taken showing the
south west corner of the building.
< style="font-weight: bold;">This
is a later view of the same building taken showing the
north east corner. Some changes have
taken place, notably the removal of the easternmost chimney. The 30 ton capacity crane, which travelled on
rails, can be seen behind and to the right of the station.
This shows the yard
and remains of the station building
looking west with the Interprovincial Bridge in the background.
The street and crossing in the foreground is
Dalhousie while Sussex Drive is in the background. Taken by
Dennis Peters from the roof of a
A close up view of the yard office
taken by Dennis Peters
looking south. It is quite possible that
the yard office shown here and in the previous photo are the remains of
1860 station shown earlier, heavily cut down and modified to last a few
years by the Canadian Pacific Bridge and Building gang.
Society, Branchline, November 2009.