|Finding No. 37 Railway Pits and Quarries in the Ottawa Area|
CNR Alexandria Sub
1. East of Maxville. Need confirmation, could have been a private pit. Shown on NTS Topo Map 31-G-7, 2nd edition.CNR Beachburg Sub.
1. Near present day EY Centre (Lester Road and the Airport Parkway). Spur began at what is now Wass (mile 5.0).
CNR Hammond Sub.
1. May have been close to the junction with the spur to the Edwards Quarry. Unconfirmed.
CNR Renfrew Sub.
1. The Horton Pit east of Renfrew may have been located here, but confirmation needed
CNR Smiths Falls Sub.
1. East of Smiths Falls. Certainly looks like one:
CNR Westport Sub
2. Lyndhurst may have been here:
CPR Belleville Sub.
1. west of Glen Tayshown on NTS map 31-C-16, 3rd edition:
CPR Brockville Sub.
1. Looks like it was reached by a spur than ran northwest from Bellamy's, the turned abruptly north of McKay Road. Either way, looks like a spur of some type ran from Bellamy's
CPR Carleton Place Sub.
1. Bells gravel pit
Side wash into Bells gravel pit when building the CPR bridge at the Chaudiere (Prince of Wales Bridge).LAC C 21427
CPR Chalk River Sub
1. East of Haley Station.
Locomotive #415 and steam shovel at Haleys Pit. Engineer George Hawley in the cab. LAC PA 209173.
CPR Prescott Sub.
1. North of Osgoode Main Street between Gordon Murdock Road and Blanchfield road. Spur began just north of Osgoode station.
2. Another pit was at: https://www.google.ca/
3. and just south of it: https://www.google.ca/
CPR Maniwaki Sub.
1. Between Chelsea and Tenaga - spur went in at approximately Mile 8.5.
2. Material for post 1992 operation came from Dery Quarry, Farm Point, existing switch is at approximately Mile 15.8.
CPR Waltham Sub
1. West of Shawville near Morehead Road.
CPR Winchester Sub.
1. Near Bennett Road and South Gower Road between Kemptville and Mountain.
2. Near village of Warina. Spur ran north from a point west of Highway 138. Need confirmation, estimated location only.
Ottawa and New York/New York Central Railway
1. Between Harrison Corners and Northfield station
GPS 45.100311, -74.935611
Ballast quarries provided cruched rock ballast for the railways.Bristol, QC - loaded on the Beachburg sub.
1. Bristol Mines - located on a spur off the Waltham sub. at Wyman
GPS 45.503166, -76.353505
2. Deeks Quarry on the Winchester sub. see:
Harry McLean’s Dominion Construction and Grenville Crushed Rock Operations at Deeks.
GPS 44.937505, -75.812261
This Page Updated 21 July 2017