|Ottawa Citizen 7 February 1970|
Locomotive destroyed by flames
CARLETON PLACE (Special) Passengers aboard a Canadian Pacific train were delayed about an hour here Friday when the main locomotive caught fire and burned.
The fire was spotted in the leading engine of the westbound Canadian as it travelled through Stittsville.
It continued to Carleton Place and shunted the burning unit into a siding. Remainder of the train was driven clear.
Members of the volunteer fire department here battled the blaze for more than an hour but the locomotive was gutted. There were no injuries.
Exact damage has not yet, been determined but is expected to run into tens of thousands of dollars.
Town Fire Chief Caldwell Wilson said .the fire appeared to have started in electrical wiring and spread to fuel oil.
A replacement locomotive was brought in' from Smiths Falls and the train continued its Trans-Canada journey.