The Bridge over Greens CreekPhoto by Colin J. Churcher.
VIA F40-PH-2 no. 6428 is seen on 19
November 2006 crossing
the stone arch bridge over Greens Creek on the M&O wye in
This was originally part of the
Canadian Pacific Railway
Grading on this main line was almost completed by October 1897 but there was still some work to be done on the bridges. To cross Greens Creek, the windings of which are serpentine where the track crosses, three bridges had to be built, but the masonry was not heavy. However, there were several fires in the swamps and brush wood of that vicinity, and the smoke was a great annoyance to those working on the line. It was made worse by a severe drought which was not anticipated so late in the year. Then, in mid-October 1897, there was a downpour and the bridge was almost broken. A freshet caused the creek to rise and it carried down a large elm tree. The tree struck a pier and knocked away all the framework except for one support. This framework was supporting the bridge. Fortunately the single support held and the engineers were quickly able to replace the framework. The workmen who were on the bridge at the time had to take to the rafts and had all the supports broken the structure would have fallen causing considerable damage besides delaying the work at this point for some time.
On 14 December 1897 the Ottawa Citizen reported:
“Yesterday, the last stone was laid on
the most important
piece of work on the construction of the new C.P.R. line to
The line was inspected by the CPR General Manager, Mr. Tait, on 19 May 1898. The Ottawa Journal reported:
“At 2.05 p.m. Mr. Tait gave the word to
start and the order
was "The best speed consistent with safety". At
Green's Creek - five miles out - the new
stone bridge was inspected. It is a
three arch structure and nicely finished. The
first station reached was
This bridge (at mile 83.2 from Vaudreuil) is 77 feet long, with the two outer arches being 14 feet diameter and the centre arch being 30 feet diameter. The second arch (at mile 82.7 from Vaudreuil), on the tail track, is 24 feet long with 12 foot diameter.
The line continued as a main line after
the opening of the
Bytown Railway Society, Branchline, March 2009 2008.